Wednesday, October 24, 2007

"Roots" of Technology

------------------- An Image from "BELOW THE ROOT" ----------------------

It's hard to imagine how much technology has already changed within my lifetime! It makes me feel "mature" to say it, but I was born before the widespread use of television, computers, lasers, and the Internet. Sunday's major event was getting the Chicago Tribune and reading the color comics with my Dad. Going to someone's house to view a black and white version of the Mickey Mouse Club was a big deal. I never touched a computer until I was in graduate school, and then it took the form of feeding punch cards into a mainframe. The first remote use was through a teletype machine reading paper tape.

When my son was born, we bought one of the first Apple IIE's at home. He and I read library picture books together, but we also played some of the first computer adventure games together (lots of text and monochrome graphics). Ironically,we later found that one of our favorites was actually based on a book: "Below the Root" by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. This mother-son bonding experience is truly one of my fondest memories.

I have been blessed to be part of a profession that has indulged my dual passions of books and computers.

No comments: