Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wellness #40: Fitness

The fitness calculators on ExRx.net were too informative. They told me more than I wanted to know about where I need to focus. No surprises there -- eat better, lose weight, exercise more.

My life expectancy in the Health Age Questionnaire was 89.3 -- not too surprising as my Dad lived about that long and had many of the same medical issues as I do. What did surprise me was my Health Age. I was pleased to see that it was about seven years less than my actual age. Since you are only as old as you feel, that figure makes me feel younger and have more incentive to improve my fitness levels.

My BMI calculation highlights the need for improvement, but once again was not as bad as expected. I plan to make some lifestyles changes, and will be interested to see how this figure looks in one year.

Someone else doing this module felt that the Calorie Requirement calculator was too generous. I have to say that I agree. If I entered 8 hours for rest, and 16 hours of Very Light activity, it still suggested that I could eat more than 2000 calories a day. That seems pretty high to me. Either that or the diet gurus are promoting way too low calorie requirements for their regimens. With the emphasis these days on ultra-thinness as an ideal, that could very well be the case. Since I am not inclined to actually count calories, I think that just making better food choices, as suggested by the Nutrition module, will be my guide.

I learned a lot looking at the various websites. I sent the video on "deskercise" to all of my staff. I think it could help everyone feel better after a long day.
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-do-basic-deskercise

No comments: