Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Genealogy # 68: Detective Work


Harris County owns some oral history CDs that can be checked out. One is "Texas Wisewomen Speak." In this collection of interviews conducted by author PJ Pierce, twenty-five Texas women ranging in age from 53 to 93 share the wisdom they've acquired through living unconventional lives in the Lonestar state.


In my family, I have become the matriarch as these things naturally happen over the years. That means I need to be making my own oral history audio or video. It would be interesting to get together with my brother and sister and do a joint tape of reminiscences, although I suppose we all would remember things very differently.



I found all three of the cemeteries I searched for in "Find-A-Grave": Evergreen Cemetery in Detroit, Michigan; Cedar Park Cemetery in Calumet Park, Illinois; and First Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery in Alsip, Illinois. However, none of them had the data recorded for the ancestors I know are buried there. They do permit you to register and add names for free so others can find them. You can also post pictures of the cemetery and particular monuments and head stones. I have lots of these, and when I have more time I will come back and add this information.
First Lutheran Cemetery is the graveyard for First Lutheran Church, an old German Lutheran Congregation in Blue island, Illinois. The oldest grave I see listed is 1886. Many of my ancestors on my mother's side are buried here. I own a plot, too, so someday I will join them. Walking through that cemetery is like walking through the aisle at the old church and seeing many folks you know.

No comments: