Saturday, January 30, 2010

Searching #77: Images

1. Using AllFreeClipArt, how many clicks did it take to get to a color Santa that doesn’t look like a troll?
I have to admit that I clicked dozens of times all over that site, and never did find a Santa I would want to use. I found the site very difficult to navigate, and quite deceptive because not everything you were led to was "free."

2. Read “10 Places to Find Free Images Online”. Blog about 2 of the sites listed.
FreeMediaGoo.com had high quality photos plus some digitally created images that could be used for free. I liked this digital image that I found there:
However, this site would not be very good for general use. The number of free images is very limited.

Fotogenika.net sounded good from the description, but it was just a link to a bunch of links, and finding your way to "free" photos was challenging.

The FreeDigitalPhotos.net gave me a nasty surprise. It seems that you get a bonus with some of the "free" photos. My virus software went into high gear, and started deleting all sorts of bad stuff. I will never go to that site again!!!

3. Try logging in to the clip art program for HCPL use. Each branch has their own login and password you can get from your branch librarian. Find an illustration that could be used for a program at your branch and add it to your blog. Be sure to credit that piece.

This is an image from the library-licensed clip art that I used in an iHCPL Wellness module post last year. There are very many good images available through this source, including regular drawings, cartoons and photos. After my experience with the viruses possible with "free" photos from the web, I think I would stick to a source like this in the future.

1 comment:

Bruce Farrar said...

Amen on the Santa trolls!