Saturday, January 30, 2010

Searching #78: Videos

1. Search for a particular video using both Truveo and Blinkx. Look for any similarities or differences in the results, and write about them in your blog.

Well, this training has just paid for itself! I used Truveo to search for samples of one of the videos we hoped to make at our branch: How to Buy a Print Card.

What I found was a video called "Printing at Freeman: Buying the Print Card."
With just a little editing to change the branch name, this video will be perfect to post on our branch web page. It was posted as of January 15, 2010, so I can only assume that is why I have not heard about it before.

I'm glad I used Truveo for this first. Blinkx did not give me this result at all, even when I searched for it by exact name.

2. Go to HCPL’s YouTube channel and take a look around. Discuss in your blog ideas for how your own branch video could add to the mix of searchable video content on the Internet.
If I hadn't found the Freeman video with the Truveo search, I would have found it by looking at HCPL's YouTube channel. It shows the video above, as well as three other related items involving printing from the computer; dealing with the print release station; and adding value to a print card.

It is strange for me that the seven Barbara Bush videos do not show up on the HCPL YouTube channel under the link for "All." You have to clink on the "Uploads" link to see older HCPL list. You can see the Barbara Bush playlist by searching another way.

The Freeman self-help videos are posted too low on the Freeman site, and won't be readily noticed by customers. If the unnecessary "Locations" box on the upper left of the Freeman branch page was deleted, links to the videos could be posted there that would be more helpful to customers.

2 comments:

Bruce Farrar said...

Excellent idea about the printing video! I hate to sound so 20th century, but "Creative Swiping" or borrowing from competition that Tom Peters has been recommending for decades. http://bit.ly/SwipeCreate

Bruce Farrar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.