Sunday, May 23, 2010

You Oughta Be In Pictures #89: Basic Photo Editing

1) Upload a photo to Picnik, Photoshop or Fotoflexer. Use at least one editing feature (red-eye fix, cropping, sharpening, resizing, etc.) and one creating feature (framing, adding text, touching up, captions, etc.). Post the edited photo on your blog.

Picnik:
I opened an account in Picnik in the original iHCPL, so I was able to sign in quickly.

I uploaded this photo of my niece Courtney , her husband Jeremy, Courtney's niece Kylee (my grand-niece), and my brother's two dogs, Emmie and Biscuit. This was on a visit we made to Alabama at Christmas a few years ago. I chose it, because it gave me several good opportunities for editing.
I started by cropping it to remove some of the extraneous and distracting background. Then I tried to get rid of some "red-eye". It worked on one of the dogs, but just couldn't get it to work on both. I adjusted the exposure and contrast a tiny bit. For fun, I added some text, some stickers, and a frame. It was lots of fun to experiment. Here is my end product:

2) Which photo editing features are important for your use? Which of the listed sites would best meet your photographic needs? Post your answer in your blog.

Cropping is my favorite feature, because I often have too much junk in the background. I usually use Microsoft's built-in Picture Manager for this, but Picnik has way more features to use. I like the sharpening feature, the captions, the red-eye (when it works). Frames would also be nice on special occasions.

I did not realize that Photoshop had a free online editing version. I have used the regular Photoshop software before, so I had an Adobe password established. I have always found Photoshop overwhelming in its capabilities, and I use only a few features. I think the online version is also a bit overwhelming, and it was pretty hard to use compared to Picnik. The photo I chose to edit was an old black and white of my Dad and his brother and sister. Photoshop made them even cuter than they were naturally!


Fotoflexor was also fun to use. However, I had problems trying to upload pictures from both Facebook and Flickr. Here is a photo of my grandnephew, Ryder, changed with different effects.





No comments: