Sunday, May 23, 2010

You Oughta Be in Pictures #90: Sharing Photos

1) Watch the video for an overview of photosharing.

The video and the ratings chart make me want to try Photobucket, which scored higher than Flickr.

Flickr has been awkward to use for HCPL purposes. This may be due to the fact that we are trying to do all of our 26+ locations on one account, and there are now 7500+ photos to manage. This makes loading and editing extremely slow and tedious. I do have a personal Flickr account that is much more user-friendly. Right now I have three sets of photos there: 1) Klein local history sites and markers; 2) Cypress Creek nature; and 3) photos of our family trip out west in 2007. Samples from my Flickr account are shown in the adjacent posts. I was pleased to see that Flickr has partnered with Picnik so that photos can be edited. I don't think that this feature was there when I first opened my account.

2) If you aren't familiar with any of these sites, browse through the public areas and their features or tours.

After reading the comparison review, watching the video review of Photobucket, and browsing through the Photobucket site, I created a free account and uploaded a number of photos. It looks like it will be easier to use and has many more features than Flickr.

3) What features are important to you when sharing your photos? Are privacy or copyright/creative commons options important to you? Which site do you prefer?

Photobucket makes it easy to share with Facebook, which I often use. Copyright is not as issue for me at this stage. Being able to specify who can share the photos is important, but often I don't care if they are public.

No comments: