Monday, July 28, 2008

Games & Gaming #36: Online Role Playing Games


I appreciated the opportunity to get acquainted with Runescape. We have had several online tournaments/scavenger hunts at the library, and it is good to be familiar with what those young customers (mostly young teen and pre-teen boys) are so interested in. Here are some things I learned:

1) The numbers are amazing! As of today, 130 million accounts had been created, and 130,092 people were currently playing. That is a VERY MULTI-player game.

2) The game MUST be educational. After all, its is headquartered in Cambridge, England.
3) The tutorial is helpful, but tedious. It would take me a lot of playing hours to know what I was doing, especially since I am very slow at moving around. The game would teach me some orientation skills, I'm sure. Probably many of the skills used here are similar to those used in other games (picking up objects, arming yourself, running, attacking, etc.), so most of the kids would not have as big a learning curve as I do.
4) My character is standing in the middle of Lumbridge in the clip above. I have finally found the Range Tutor, gotten the bows and arrows, taken them back to Sir Vant, killed the druid who was helping the dragon, climbed back up the ladder, and am now looking for the Fishing Tutor. All in only two hours!
5) I could not figure out how to capture a close-up picture of my character. I chose a strong gray-haired, olive-skinned woman with a great figure and purple clothes to match. If only wishing could make it so!

No comments: