Sunday, July 27, 2008

Maps #34: Geocoding and Geocaching

GEOCODING

The link to Mapquest's geocoding process doesn't work any more, and I was unable to find an alternative one.

I decided to find the geocode for the Texas Repertory Theatre, which seemed to work just as entered, even though the instructions lead you to think you need to enter a physical address. Its coordinates came back as: N31°10.13934, W100°4.6074.

Then I checked these coordinates in Google Maps. Oops! Guess that physical address is important. These coordinates come out somewhere in the boonies SE of San Angelo, TX.

I will try again using the exact address (14243 Stuebner Airline, Houston TX 77069). This time I got these coordinates: N29°59.42868, W095°30.03054.

Checking these coordinates in Google Maps got me right where I needed to go! Guess I will steer clear of using names.


The marker is a bit off from the exact location. It is probably closer to the red-roofed building. However, getting this close to the Stuebner-Airline/FM 1960 location, plus the theater's own sign, would get you there. And the trip would be worth it! They have done some great productions this year. Check it out the current schedule at http://www.texreptheatre.org/.


GEOCACHING


I looked for geocaches within 10 miles of zip code 77379. There were lots! I chose to see the details of one called "Friedhof Klein." This was a perfect choice, as I am very interested in the local history of the Klein area. Its coordinates are N 30° 02.803, W 095° 31.335. The URL is http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&guid=48c960c5-9677-46fb-a966-18d502764ac1&decrypt=&log=y&numlogs


Here is the description: "Site rich in local history. Visiting hours are 8am - 6pm daily, but residents need not be consulted to find this cache. High traffic area, be discreet. Site founded in 1872, during diptheria epidemic that swept throught the community. Some of the oldest markers, bearing inscriptions in German, are near the back of the site. You'll notice some names familiar to the area. Take some time to pause and reflect. "


This sounded to me like one of the old cemeteries in the area. When I checked the coordinates on the map, I found that indeed it was the old Klein Cemetery. I used to travel regularly down the Klein Cemetery Road when boarding my dog. I visited the cemetery on occasion, but never looking for a geocache. Reading the logs showed that hundreds of people had visited this site since it was first hidden in 2004.


Zooming out on the map, I realized that there are HUNDREDS of sites all around this area, many in places I often walk. Now I am really excited about going out to try this!


Thanks so much to the Barbara Bush Team who helped put these mapping exercises together!

No comments: