Monday, July 28, 2008

Games & Gaming #38: Console Gaming

A problem with the old arcade games is that I couldn't remember how to play them, and not all of them had instructions. I never enjoyed them very much because of my afore-mentioned lack of speed. I think they are even harder now on my laptop because I don't have the same joystick-type controllers. Using the keyboard or my thumbpad just doesn't cut it. Plus the music playing in the background caused my husband to yell, "What are you doing there? PLAYING GAMES??? I thought you were supposed to be doing library training."



Those old games did attract me to the power of computers, however, and probably helped me develop what little hand-eye coordination I do have. My favorites were later-generation games like the early King's Quest or Seventh Guest that were less about agility and killing and more about problem solving and strategy.



Boy, do those historic consoles look old!!! I guess someday the Wii's and SuperNintendo systems will look like that, too. We used to own a Mattel Intellivision console, and had lots of games for bowling, football, golf, and so on. My brother and sister and I spent a lot of time playing, and really did enjoy it because of the interactive aspect. That still seems to be a huge part of the attraction of such games.

Of the consoles available for the library today, I would like to purchase a Wii because, as their ads say, "Wii is not just a gaming console. It's a reason to get together with your friends and family and play today's hottest games." I think it has appeal for kids, teens, and intergenerational programming.

Libraries are great because they don't force people into one way of thinking or being. Some people may come for the games, and that's all. Some people come for the games and get into books. Some people come for the books and find out about the games. Some people come to pay bills over the Internet, and read the newspaper. Some people come because they like to talk to the staff. Some people come because we have great AC. Hey -- everybody is welcome!


No comments: